Sunday, February 19, 2012

Super C

After finding the first Contra a bit of a walk in the park I decided to have a go at Super C. Again the challenge was quite disappointing and I managed to breeze through the game. In fact this one was much easier than Contra. However I think I enjoyed this one a little bit more.



Super C is loosely based on the Super Contra arcade game but takes far more liberties with the arcade game than even Contra did. The arcade game had a vertically orientated screen that made dodging bullets a nightmare especially when coupled with the weird floaty jump. After the nightmare of the first level I found Super Contra became a breeze. Super C makes big changes to many of the stages in Super Contra, all of which improve the game, and adds some exclusive stages as well. The controls are also a big improvement. It really is a massive improvement on a very disappointing arcade game. Compared to the NES version of Contra, Super C plays very close to the original game and is probably running on the same engine. One big change is that the 3D 'into the screen' shooting sections of the original have been replaced by much better top down levels.



It's definitely a game work checking out. You might not be challenged but like its predecessor it's one of the best games on the system boasting some of the best gameplay and level design of the era. The co-op mode is the icing on the cake.

3 comments:

  1. Super C was quite fun. My favorite in the series was Contra 3: The Alien Wars for the SNES. Are you going to challenge that one anytime soon? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might go back to Contra 3 but I beat it ages ago and currently only really trying to work through games I've not completed. I did absolutely love Contra 3 but think it's a tad over rated, namely, I don't really like the overhead stages in that game but outside of them it's amazing. Really made me wish I had a SNES at the time.

    Contra 3 would be my third favourite in the series. My top two in order are Contra: Hard Corp and the massively under rated Shattered Soldier. I know they are little more than boss rushes but you know what, I love bosses! I really must get Hard Corp Uprising soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would you like to do a re-make of Super C?

    ReplyDelete